I shall be achieving this on April 2011:

Thursday 1 May 2008

so what is it with the word DYSLEXIA?!?!?!?

I'm putting some efforts here reading journals and papers around the area/field that might involve research in dyslexia and some involves information from the psychology background, neurology, social science and even IT. There's a lot to understand and I don't think what I've read is enough.. owh.. it's never enough pamz.. you have to always keep on reading and reading and reading.. until everything is registered in your brain... atleast, that is my target...

my first year viva (that's what i call it) is coming very soon now.. and i am so very scared... of course the panic is everywhere... this is my first time and everybody's first time.. i can't imagine how its going to be like.. had talked to several people whom have had experience before, and mostly said, just be prepared...

SV advised, a short brief reflection of what i've done from the first day i came in.. 2 pages would be enough and another page for a Time Plan for all the things I planned to do for the next 2 and a half years more to go...

So, what about DYSLEXIA that I have understood so far?

I've just got a brief description from a colleague of mine, whom have had experience joining the BDA and some communities, plus husband and son is also having it. DYSLEXIA is an umbrella for Dysgraphia (handwriting problems), Dyscalculia (Numbers and calculations) and Dyspraxia (movements/balancing/motor skills). But recent reading, had mentioned that Dysgraphia and Dyslexia has no relation at all. I'm a bit confused here.

Logically, I would say, it does connects in some way or rather... because, Dyslexia is difficulties that involves reading, writing and spelling. And the inter-relation between reading, writing and spelling is that, one will have to learn the alphabet first (alphabet recognition), then the process of writing (which if a problem, could be dysgraphia) and then, one will learn the spelling processes before being able to read. AM I RIGHT? At least.. this is what I could come up with after a lot of reading...

And, if handwriting involves motor skills of moving your hands which also involves muscle movements, balancing the pen when writing, unable to perform this would lead to Dyspraxia, I suppose?!?!?! (anyone would like to argue with this?)

And in this case, I could not relate much to Dyscalculia, as this involves the calculation processes, that one needs to perform.

And so, at this moment, I am trying to find researches that involves issues regarding:
  • handwriting processes
  • alphabet recognition
  • spelling problems that dyslexics' have
  • how the alphabet recognition and writing connects to the brain?!?
  • how the brain(dyslexics') works?
  • how the brain(dyslexics') processes?
Basically, what I need to understand at this stage is how all these are connected.

I am sooo into it, I love this area so much, it has been my passion ever since I applied for a place to further my study, plus this was motivated more by my cousin whom complaints that her son has some learning disability, but lack of helps in Malaysia.

I will proceed with this. Hoping to be able to offer helps in Malaysia, once I'm back!

1 comment:

Dilla M said...

Hello. Its great knowing a Malaysian is eager to make a difference in Malaysia. Yes those suffering from Learning disabilities here aren't given the proper help they need, unless their parents are freaking rich to send them to private schools, where they actually have teachers that has knowledge regarding LD. For national schools wise.. they wouldnt even know what dyslexia means. I'm a 16 y/o dyscalculic and so far, i see awareness on LD is lacking among malaysian. Hope you can make a change when you come back.

p.s i've been trying to create awarness regarding LD, specifically dyscalculia. here is my letter to the star nespaper

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/3/7/focus/20549509&sec=focus