I shall be achieving this on April 2011:

Thursday 31 January 2008

Elevator Pitch?

We had this short session of presenting/discussing ELEVATOR PITCH this week.

So what is ELEVATOR PITCH anyway?

This is how I understood it: A very short description of the whole research work that one is doing, but, being said in a very interesting way, as if you are selling it to another person. This should be done within 30 secs, and as its name portrays, imagine being in a lift, and you met somebody that could sponsor your project, and this person asked, 'WHAT IS IT THAT YOU ARE DOING?'

So, basically, you need to sell it, promote it, makes it sound very very interesting.. so that they will buy your idea! *do you get me?*

I find this exercise very useful, because it helps to make you understand better on the research work that you are interested in, and putting it in layman's word is not as easy as one could think of. It was very hard for a friend of mine, as she was very used to doing and writing technical stuffs.. however, practices is really needed in doing this.

Some quotes from our lecturer: When you meet different people, practice telling them what you are doing.. try different ways, and you will one day find the most easiest/suitable way to explain the whole research you are doing.. even if it is your grandma whom asked!

Anyway, just to reflect on what I did... I volunteered to present mine, and here how it goes:

"Can you imagine that one day, children will be able to control the c*****n their watching? Great isn't it? and bla.. bla.. bla..."

It was a good start, but anyhow, I continued with reading all the thing I wrote on the paper... which was a shame really... as it just puts people off then... duh.... blimey...

It was sooo nerve wrecking standing in front, and having everybody staring at you.. owh.. how I wish I could do better again... And my closing statement, was not that powerful, I just ended it without reminding them again of the good intro I gave. G.F. said that, I should have a good round up to it, so that, it will help people to again catch up with what I wanted to do...

anyway, good try girl! YOU GO!

No comments: