I shall be achieving this on April 2011:

Thursday 28 February 2008

Why study Child Development?

Yes. Why do I have to study Child Development, when what I am doing is more on children's interactivity with some things.

Well.. its a very basic knowledge that one have to know in order to further develop understanding about children. It is an essential subject if you are working involving children.

While I was reading this particular book, Childcare & Education, there were some questions that really interest me:

Q1: How children develop in different cultures and in different sorts of society?

I had this course about globalisation when I did my master and was always relating to children no matter what issue involves. The master course I did had really open my mind in a way that we, people, the nation, all countries are actually moving towards being more globalised. Whenever big organisations takes some actions, we should be thinking of going global. Just like the internet has helped us to become nowadays.

Far countries seems so near. Malaysia and UK seems so near when it comes to having a daily internet phone calls conversation. It's very clear as if, I'm talking to that person right infront of me. Plus, with the technology, having a web camera, also helped a lot! Like Parents-in-law, wanting to see their grandchildren, like in my case. That is just how things work.

So... This had make me think further on the next question:

Q2: What is the same about all children? (in all aspects)
: What is different across cultures in the way that children are brought up?

I have always been wondering, when I read some research papers on dyslexia, how English was the hardest language to learn for them. And how true is that, really?! Are there not other language which might be harder than English? Has any research been done on this?

I find learning arabic a bit difficult. People said that Japanese is very easy to learn. And how about my mother tongue, Bahasa Melayu? I could not try Chinese, as they have their special way of accent, like a music, you get me? But I'd love to learn Spanish, which for me, I think is quite easy to learn. Por Que No? Si... (mind the spelling.. i just know how to pronounce it...)

Anyway, back to Question 2, What is the same about all children? Is the way we brought up children are all the same? It sure is different in some ways depending on culture. I can see the differences, when I was small, Mom and Dad were very strict. Even when I'm a teenager, they were strict as well. Its all because of I'm a girl, but I thanked them, as I do not become that wild or very social, but instead, they succeeded in making me a well mannered person. And same goes to almost all of my close friends. But teenagers nowadays in my countries, are so different.

It was really upsetting, that most of them allow media to influence them...

so what do you think?

will update more.. got to go to my poster presentation...

1 comment:

Neny said...

Afzan, I love the way u write this article. Maybe u write a book someday after ur phd?

Keep up the good works. So proud of u!